Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Minecraft Alt Art Concepts

Alright, I've been doodling minecraft mobs for awhile during class, so I figured I'd post some of the ideas that I came up with.  We'll start with Creepers. (One Enderman snuck in there somehow)

For the best views, open the pics in new tabs.

I had a hard time coming up with a more realistic Creeper concept.  Basically, it was the body shape giving me the most trouble.  No creature is shaped like that in real life, with four stubby legs and a head resting at the top of a vertical body.  So first I thought aliens with weird tentacles would be the best way to convey a Creeper (right half of the pic, minus the Enderman).  I also thought that a skull would be the best way to convey the face, because any creature that I could fit into that body type would look weird if it had two eyes and a frowning mouth.  The skull is basically just a mask, and not actually a head with a brain in it, but it does signify a face / is meant to scare people (miners?)  The Creeper in the exact middle is the next one I did, and the concepts on the left grew from that.  I think it looks better than the "alien with tentacles growing out of a human skull" concept.


Next: Ghasts, Endermen, and a magma guy


Endermen are pretty obvious:  just make them look like tall black people.  In the game, Endermen have glowing eyes and jaws that they open (to freighten you? I don't fucking know), but I thought it would make more sense to go with a faceless concept.  Not having a face makes them more mysterious, and Endermen have unknown intentions.  Also maybe we can't see their faces in our dimension?  It could just be that we can't comprehend their faces, or what they actually look like.  Anyway, they're faceless.  I also like to imagine they they are not made up of flesh (like skin, muscle, bone...), but their bodies are made up of some foreign material that doesn't react well in our dimension (lol enderflesh?).

And the Ghasts.  The scariest motherfuckers in the game.  They have a face (without a nose), and they scream at you and shoot fireballs.  Obviously I went with fairly scary or realistic faces, because their face is pretty much all I have to work with.  I went with one non-ghost concept, it looks kind of like an octopus.

The magma guy (cube? slime?) is just......whatever.  I don't know why I drew him.


Anyway, that's what I do when I'm bored in class.  I love getting feedback so please please please leave a comment or something.  See ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment